Close Search

detail

Viridor marks Bargeddie milestone with £2,000 donation to Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust

26th April 2018

Pictured above: Phil Baker (Bargeddie site Project Manager), Alex Brown (deputy chairman of Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust), Brian Gray (Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust), Dave Quamby (Nationwide)

Staff at the construction site of Viridor’s new residual waste treatment plant in Bargeddie marked 100,000 accident-free hours today with a special cheque presentation to Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust (LCCT).

Viridor – Scotland’s leading recycling and renewable energy company – and its construction partner Nationwide chose the charity to receive £2,000 after it was nominated by a member of the local community.

Coatbridge resident Christine said that the cancer care trust provided her with vital help when she was receiving radiotherapy treatment at the Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre.

The trust provides free transport to hospital appointments for people fighting cancer within the NHS Lanarkshire area and has been operating for almost 19 years. The service is 80 percent funded by local donations with the remaining 20 per cent split between NHS Lanarkshire and North and South Lanarkshire councils.

Christine said:  “Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust do a wonderful job. I had around 20 trips to the Beatson and each time a driver picked me up, waited for me and delivered me home again.

“They made a massive difference to my experience and help a lot of people in the local area, many of them elderly.

“I am very pleased that I was given the chance to nominate the charity for this donation as I think their hard work should be recognised and rewarded.”

Bargeddie Project Manager Phil Baker was on hand to present the cheque. He said:  “We are very pleased to be able to mark this important milestone of 100,000 accident-free hours in a way that will help many people in our local community.

“It’s humbling to hear about the valuable work of the Trust and of the many people that they help across Lanarkshire.  I know that colleagues at the Bargeddie site are pleased to support such a worthy and deserving cause.”

Receiving the cheque on behalf of Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust, was the charity’s deputy chairman, Alex Brown.

He said:  “We are so grateful to Viridor and Nationwide for this donation and to Christine for nominating us.

“Such donations mean that we can continue to provide vital transportation to people at what can be a very difficult time. Hopefully, they benefit from our support and we give them one less thing to worry about.”

About the site:

The Clyde Valley Project is an innovative partnership where five local authorities have come together, East Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire, to find a solution for their residual waste. Viridor is building infrastructure to manage 190,000 tonnes of waste that would have gone to landfill.

We are constructing a residual waste treatment plant at Bargeddie and to mark a project milestone would like to make a donation to Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust. Viridor and our construction partner Nationwide will be donating £2,000.

For further information please contact:

pressoffice@pennon-group.co.uk